Is living in a "Christian Fascist" governmental state, something you desire? Understanding where we are headed is fundamental.
Definition of fascism:
A political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition. Wikipedia
Christian Fascism has its start when Pat Robertson and other radio and television evangelists began speaking about a new political religion that would direct its efforts toward taking control of all institutions, including mainstream denominations and the government. Its stated goal was to use the United States to create a global Christian empire. (https://www.popmatters.com/christian-fascism-american-democracy-hedges)
Here is one of the most interesting aspects of this new Christian Fascism according to the Pew Research Center:
Nearly three-quarters of U.S. adults (73%) say religion should be kept separate from government policies, according to a survey conducted in spring 2022. Just 25% say government policies should support religious values and beliefs.
Despite the will of the majority, consider the Supreme Court is relentlessly funding and empowering Christian Fascism. This is the Trump / McConnell court. It not only overturned Roe v. Wade, ending a constitutional right to an abortion it did much more; the list continues:
- Ruled on June 21 that Maine may not exclude religious schools from a state tuition program.
- It has ruled that a Montana state program to support private schools must include religious schools.
- It ruled that a 40-foot cross could remain on state property in suburban Maryland.
- It upheld the Trump administration regulation allowing employers to deny birth control coverage to female employees on religious grounds.
- It ruled that employment discrimination laws do not apply to teachers at religious schools.
- It ruled that a Catholic social services agency in Philadelphia could ignore city rules and refuse to screen same-sex couples applying to take in foster children.
- It neutered the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
- It watered down laws allowing workers to combat sexual and racial harassment in court.
- It reversed century-old campaign finance restrictions to permit corporations, private groups, and oligarchs to spend unlimited funds on elections, a system of legalized bribery, in Citizens United v Federal Election Commission. It permitted states to opt-out of the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion.
- It undercut the ability of public sector unions to raise funds.
- It forced workers with legal grievances to submit their complaints to privatized arbitration boards.
- It ruled that states cannot restrict the right to carry concealed weapons in public. (Pew - "Most Americans, including most gun owners, support restricting public places legal gun owners can carry firearms.")
- It ruled that suspects cannot sue police who neglect to read them their Miranda warnings and use their statements against them in court.
Outlawing contraception, same-sex marriage, transgender right/protections, and same-sex consensual relations are probably next. Only 25 percent of those polled say they have confidence in this Supreme Court decisions.
CNN has an opinion post entitled, "A terrifying glimpse of what could await America after the 2024 election". [This] should serve as a huge wake up call to voters that they would be electing a man who will let nothing -- not the truth or the safety of Americans -- stand in the way of his omnipotent aspirations. Let me add that Ron DeSantis is equally dangerous.
So why is Christian fascism dangerous. Having strong religious beliefs is a fundamental right all Americans cherish. But, the rise of a movement that believes the separation of church and state is a myth and advocates for a government shaped by conservative Christian values as a political force is a threat to a diverse, democratic, multicultural America. Having Christian nationalists imposing their beliefs on the rest of us is counter to everything America has championed throughout its history.
Speak out! Vote!
Religion is like opium. In small doses, both can do a lot to ease pain. Taken too much, both destroy society. Therefore, both should be regulated. Regulation not as much as to the nature of the drug, but to the amount needed to ease pain. When in doubt, it's best to do without....ReplyDelete
Well written, is this your work or do you have an attribution?Delete
Wasnt it a Lenin quote of ''Religion is the opiate (anti anxiety/pain drug) of the masses?Delete
Mostly my material. The bullet list was pulled for several places.Delete