Female body language or the body language of women is not all that different from males. However there are a few noticeable differences in female body language that both sexes can make note. This according to "Science of People"
I cannot tell you the number of time I have been at gender conferences or support group meeting with our beautifully dressed girls. They had spent a lot time on their makeup, clothing and hair only to ruin the image with the wrong body language. They communicated that something was amiss - a "tell". You have seen it - The not so subtle and unattractive legs spread. The power stance with legs apart and arms crossed. This is natural male posture but you want to communicate that you are female.
This video talks a lot about courting non-verbal body language but there are elements that will help us to understand the differences between male and female actions:
Vanessa Van Edwards - Decoding Female Body Language
Here are some of the behaviors (female) that are considered likable in both social, business and romantic situations:
- Smiling (My number one)
- Having an expressive face - Friendly not threatning.
- Keeping your hands below chin level (above chin can be seen as aggressive or over-animated)
- Minimal arm crossing - Closed attitude
- Keeping hands outside of pockets
- Triple head nods to show interest - This works, try it.
- Intimate eye gazing (from the eyes to the mouth to the body)
- Leaning towards the other person
- Subtle mirroring
- Light touch on the arm or more intimate upper arm.
Practice – configure you brain to deal with how you want to present. How you want to be perceived. Show people who you are, or better yet who you want to become.
Be the best you can be!